http://www.blogger.com/template-choose.g?blogID=32707431 brite-orange: Is this what we want ?

Friday, May 04, 2007

Is this what we want ?

"What was my sister like before the day she left"
She and mum went out and never came back
I just remember being dragged down stairs hidden bereft
I saw your face as the bombs fell, it went grey and slack

Shock wracked your body struggling to shed the tears of grief
hidden in a cellar with me dust covered afraid and unsure
the pain of loss tearing and searing heart flesh - no relief
emotions spent, life corrupted every thought now impure

The anger and impotence to act twisting your soul
I try and help more innocent and more unaware
you want revenge for your loss you want a role
I want you to return to me to live and to care

So again I ask you "Father tell me what she was like
tell me how it was before the bomb took them away"
Tell me father "How it was when we could use a bike
when we could rush outside and kids could play?"

I could see the effort it took to rouse your heart
to look me in the eye and focus on the present
you smiled at me weakly, sighed and made a start.
A familiar story now we both knew how it went

"Son" you say "before the bomb there were trees and grass
You went to school with many children your age
you had lessons together in a group called a class
you were free to roam and explore a joyful rampage

I too play my part and am amazed "Tell me more about the trees"
Father "How can it be like it is now." I do not understand
His head is heavy and sadness returns from memories he sees
He looks at me intently his words studied holding my hand

"Son I am so sorry we choose not to act when we had a chance"
We watched and did nothing . It was happenening under our nose
More nations more powerful weapons a terrible political dance
No one standing up screaming demanding war factories to close

We did not rise up and follow the way of peace
Our leaders self-blinkered lead us on the path to war
We let the world be destroyed the old way of life ceased
Everything is degraded now humanity is poor

The green grass, the bird song the flowers are gone
children grow up in the shadows not running in the sun
The good life before replaced with one so wrong
Hand to mouth living, existance sadness not fun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home